Detailed maps for Wales are now available online. This is one of the best tools for family history research. Grasping the geographical context that our ancestors lived in is critical.
- Go to http://maps.nls.uk/geo/records/
- Use the zoom in option or choose a map series (County Series 6 inch is a favorite of mine)
- Click on England and Wales (lower left side of the screen)
- Select a county in the box/field on the left side of the screen
- Click on the map for the area you are interested in
- Select one of the map options on the right side of the screen
- a set of four small squares will be outlined in blue (center of screen)
- the results list on the right side of the screen shows maps at different dates
- A single map sheet will open, click on the + or - in the upper left of the screen to zoom in or out. You can click on the map then drag it to move from side to side or up and down or use the arrow keys on your keyboard.